I’ve been thinking a lot about what’s missing from this blog, and I’ve decided that what’s missing is good, old-fashioned competition. Yep, that’s right. Now introducing…
Her Side of the Mountain’s very first CONTEST!
I want to hear your stories about hiking and camping. They don’t even have to be stories about hiking and camping solo. For this first contest, I specifically want to hear about the most incredible moment you’ve experienced while hiking or camping.
The winner will receive — aside from extreme bragging rights — a 5×7 photo, taken by me while solo hiking! You can put it in your office and dream of being outside. (That’s what I do.) You’ll even get your choice, from one of these three photos:
Pretty cool, right? So, here are the rules:
- Tell me, either by posting in the comments or emailing hermountain at gmail.com, the story of the most incredible moment you experienced while hiking or camping. It doesn’t have to be a solo experience. It can be about hiking or camping, it doesn’t have to be about both. I’m looking for something that scared you, or inspired you, or an encounter with wildlife, or a triumph, or a failure, or a moment of revelation, or whatever you want. Be creative. (But not lewd, please!)
- If you need an example, look here for a post I wrote last week about a moment of revelation in the Smokies. But you don’t have to send a photo.
- Keep it short. I’m not looking for a treatise, so keep your story to 300 words or less. Preferably less.
- You don’t have to be a writer. I mean, make sure that the grammar and punctuation and spelling make the thing readable so I can understand it, but don’t worry if you don’t think of yourself as a wordsmith. Just pretend you’re writing me an email.
- Make sure I know how to contact you if you win by giving me your email.
- I’m going to set a minimum here — I need to receive at least ten entries in order to give out the prize. Otherwise, we’ll try it again. This is your chance to get in while the getting it good! As (hopefully) readership grows, your chances will be slimmer…
- The deadline is next Friday, February 5, 2010.
- In order to keep things fair, I’ll give the entries, without attribution, to a disinterested third party who will narrow the choices down to three, and then I’ll choose from there.
Any questions? If not, then bring it on…
© Her Side of the Mountain 2010.